Species IDView All
( Cherax albidus )
There are many species of Yabby in Australia. This is the species native to NSW, SA and VIC.
Crawchie, Crawdad, Craybob, Lobbie, Western Blue Claw Yabby
How to Catch
- Are a member of the family Parastacidae (freshwater crayfish)
- Can grow to 13cm in length
- Distinguished by obvious hairs on the inside of the ‘elbow’
- Come in a range of colours including red and blue
- Native to NSW, SA and VIC and now found in every Australian state
- Popular in aquaculture. Farmed in WA.
- Frequents freshwater streams, dams and impoundments
- Popular recreational target
- Good eating